Recalls happen--fortunately not very frequently--but they are a fact of life in any food industry. Most recalls are precautionary. In other words, there are noconfirmed illnesses.
So far this year we have seen recalls in ME, MA, RI, CT, NY, VA, Canada, and elsewhere.
If handled properly, your company should have limited/no liability and it should not impact your operations.
When a recall happens, you should get that product out of the system as quickly as possible. This is why companies are supposed to have a written recall plan. And why inspections often include a mock recall.
Knowing how much time this takes and how important it is, BlueTrace built a recall feature that automates much of the recall.
The recall feature is included in all our products as part of the base package. Handling recalls properly is important for the health of the entire industry and we want to make sure everyone can do it properly.
The process is simple:
1) Identify the lots that are being recalled (in the log).
2) Push the Recall button (note only the owner/manager has access to this).
3) Fill out the form and push enter
Two things will happen:
1) If there is an email in the system for the client, we will send them a notice
2) We will change the landing page under the QR code so anyone scanning the QR code with their phone will see that there is a recall for this lot.
You should still reach out personally to any of your impacted client and you should still keep track of what product has been returned and/or destroyed.
We hope it is a feature you never have to use.